Sunday, October 12, 2014

Implications and Teaching Opportunities for Camera Use in Teaching and Learning

A study done by Zogby Analytics.

Part A
From the data we were given you can see that smart phones are growing at a rapid pace and before long almost everyone will have one. From the high percentage we were given of people who said that their smart phone never leaves their side we can see how addicting smart phones have become. I can say for myself that I have my phone on me the majority of the time. My smart phone is my watch, my alarm clock, my agenda, my social network, my camera, and has an answer to any question I have. So I can see why so many people always keep it on them. 

With all the technology a smart phone provides I don't see why teachers, schools, and students don't use them for educational purposes. This is not something that can happen over night but I do believe it can be started in schools. I don't think that educational learning should be 100% done with smart devices because there are a few draw backs. For example, if you have your whole lesson plan on a smart device where you have to use the internet and say the internet is down that day then your whole lesson plan is useless that day. I do think using smart devices for projects and doing research is a great way to get students engaged though. 

Part B
Here are some ideas for lessons if all students were to have a smartphone or tablet with a camera:
  • For any project that includes pictures students have to make the presentation on their tablet and present it to the class.
  • For Reading students have to record themselves then go back and listen to themselves to see if they made any mistakes like in this video
  • They can use keynote to make something similar to a powerpoint
  • They can use the camera to load pictures to their class blog 
  • Students could use their tablet to take pictures of things they don't know and then be able to bring it back to class and research what it is

Students with tablets

No comments:

Post a Comment